Monday, May 5, 2014

Milestones



I'm learning quickly that milestone moments in your children's lives as they grow older can make your heart swell with pride and skip a beat as well as make your eyes leak! These moments are so different from their earlier milestones of rolling over, learning to walk and losing their first tooth. While those earlier milestones were just as joyous as these recent ones, somehow they were different.  They weren't quite as heart stopping.


In the span of the last two weeks, Ace and I have had a few of these heart stopping, eye leaking milestone moments with our boys.  The first was Carter living out every little boy's dream of hitting an over the fence homerun.  Holy Moly, what a moment!  I have always vowed not to be "that mom". You know, the one who jumps up and down and screams hysterically at sporting events.  Ummm...I may have failed miserably and become "that mom" jumping up and down screaming behind the fence at home plate as Carter made his way around the bases with his mile-wide grin.  I guess that's a mother's prerogative! Now Carter gets to have his homeroom on replay in his head anytime he wants. 

This past weekend was Austin's turn for milestone moments. On Friday, he spiffed himself up and drove to his final 8th grade dance. He's definitely counting down the days to the end of his middle school career.  Me, not so much. High school hardly seems possible. My leaky eyes caught me by surprise as I was driving home and thinking about the reality of the situation.  Time with your kids really does fly by.

On Sunday, Austin felt the love of 22 family members as he was confirmed at church. What a blessing to experience him taking that step in confirming his faith. Watching him take communion for the first time was just a little bit surreal. My mama heart sure is full these days.  If time would just slow down a bit, I might be able to handle it a bit better. 

Thankfully Ace and I are surrounded by some pretty amazing, if not crazy, family and friends as we move along in this parenting journey with our children!



No comments:

Post a Comment