Monday, December 17, 2012

It's the little things

Little things in life that make us smile #43~

HUGS

I'm not sure there's a parent in our world right now that would disagree that something as simple as a hug and/or kiss from a child is one of the sweetest things in the world.  For those parents whose hugs were cut short due to pure evil this past week, my eyes still fill easily with tears and my heart is beyond heavy and full of prayers.  I can not watch the news; I can only read it wishing the words on the page away.  My eyes and heart cannot take the images.  It hits way too close to home.  Right now, I can't get enough hugs and kisses from my boys.

There truly are not words to describe how I feel.  The unimaginable has happened, again.  As an educator, it's something that unfortunately is always somewhere on my mind.  Where are the escape routes?  Where's the best place in the room to protect and hide kids?  Can I lock the door fast enough? Is it safer to jump out a window from the second floor? What in the room can be used to defend us?  Can the tables quickly be turned over for a wall of protection? Will I be able to react quickly enough?  Will the teachers of my own children do enough to protect them?

Dear Lord...educators shouldn't have to worry about these things.  We should be worried about things like, are the students learning?  What do I need to reteach?  How can I extend this for those needing an extra challenge? Am I guiding them towards independent thinking? Am I equipping them with the best education to prepare them for their future?

Walking into school this morning will not be easy for many students and educators, myself included.  However, we must remember that we have a loving God who is with us every step of every day.  We may not be able to wrap our minds around the event that has happened, but we must rest assured in the words and plan of our God.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

No comments:

Post a Comment