Saturday, July 30, 2011

Team Tandemonium Travelog #6

RAGBRAI day 6 means we are nearing the home stretch.  Austin had the early morning shift with Aaron and was up and at 'em ready to go.  How any of the riders still have the ambition and desire to hop on their bikes at this point in the week is beyond me.


Carter and I got them sent off, and I got to enjoy a leisurely breakfast and shower at the Honold household before heading out.  I'm learning as we go that I don't need to head out as soon as the bikers do.  Apparently even though I have to travel more miles than the bikers do, the van goes faster :)  Hmmm...pitiful it took me the first half of the week to figure that one out!

As we were leaving the house, Carter asked if I would drive him to Trainland since he didn't get to go yesterday.  It broke my heart to telling him it was WAY out of the way in the opposite direction of where we were headed.  He handled it pretty well when I promised him we would take him there sometime, and we made our way to Marengo to meet up with Aaron and Austin after getting ice to refill the cooler.

Aaron and Austin had a pretty good morning. On their stop in Victor, Iowa Aaron had the pleasure of being a lady again!  Those boys must have quite the power over him.  Austin wanted to make sure that you noticed where the "man" had his hand placed!


Let me tell you, being the support vehicle driver was extremely ROUGH today!  My van seemed to have a mind of it's own and drove here


and here.


I could hardly deal with the air conditioning and sale prices :)  It seemed as though many of the stores had extra bags that they were looking to fill for customers and my wallet apparently agreed. It was by far the most difficult day of supporting these riders that I've had all week.  With these detours to shopping centers and crazy traffic they were lucky I made it to the meeting places on time! Make it on time I did though.  I would NOT want to be accused of not holding up my end of the bargain this week!  Hee hee hee ~ get it, bargain :)  
I found a lot of them!


We met up with Johnny T in Marengo and a fresh set of little legs was ready to go with dad.  They had a ton of fun in the afternoon even though it was hot.  Of course, when it's hot, you must find ways to cool off.  


Carter found an old fashioned fire truck hooked up with hoses spraying all around! Needless to say, he enjoyed every minute of getting drenched.


They also stumbled across Carter Ford somewhere along the way.  Who knew my son had his own Ford dealership?  

All in all it was a terrific day that ended with terrific hospitality.  Thanks so much to Nate and Kelly for hooking us up with some amazing friends of theirs for our overnight.  I'm blaming it on them as to why this didn't get posted last night.  Put two teachers in a room together and blogging doesn't happen ~ teacher talk does :)  We had a great night of food and friendship!

Day #7 ~ here we come!












  

1 comment:

  1. Darn it! I didn't realize that you were going through the Big Vic!! That is Jodi's hometown and she is actually there visiting her parents!

    ReplyDelete