Friday, April 27, 2012

Home Front

It's been awhile since I've had a book truly stick with me and move me the way Home Front by Kristin Hannah did.  This was my book club's latest pick.  Now, I'll admit that I'm always a bit reluctant to move out of the murder mystery realm so I wasn't too excited about this pick.  Since my book club is a little unique (not everyone actually reads the books - gasp!) I wasn't going to feel too awful if I didn't get this one read.

Well, I forgot my kindle last weekend for the beginning of baseball season, which really is a necessity when the kids have to be there 30-45 minutes ahead of time and there's plenty of down time between innings. (And no, I'm not the only one with my "nerd manual", according to Aaron, at the ball diamond!)  Thankfully another book club member and fellow "nerd manual" lover was there and had her iPad with it ready to go.  She was running errands between games and let me borrow it just in case I might actually want to get started.  After playing around with a couple games of Farkle and Angry Birds, I figured it couldn't hurt to see whether or not it was going to be something I would enjoy.

Oh my!  I was a good thing I had my sunglasses on because my heart was already pounding and tears threatening a couple of chapters in.  I was relieved when Jenni showed up again needing her iPad to keep stats.  Needless to say, it didn't take me long to fly through the rest of the book and nearly an entire box of Kleenex.  Kristin Hannah does an amazing job of giving a very realistic look at marriage, love, loss, and war.  If you looking for a great read, you won't go wrong with this one.







No comments:

Post a Comment