Friday, April 20, 2012

Music to my ears

In our schools, 4th grade is when students may begin to try their hands at orchestra.  I was not surprised at all when Carter told us it was something he wanted to try.  He has quite a love of music and a pretty decent ear for it. Of course, he had to choose the largest instrument available, the bass.


My ears clearly remember Austin giving the cello a try when he was that age.


It's amazing to me how the noise from the instrument begins as a sound that resembles something like a very sick cow when the kids first start to actually sounding like music by the end of the year.  I know how much noise I can handle in a classroom, and I surely wouldn't survive the noise that comes out of a band or orchestra classroom!

Tuesday night was Carter's first orchestra concert in which he was one of only two basses in the entire district for either 4th or 5th grade.  I find that to be quite surprising when you consider that there are over 200 kids involved in orchestra at this age throughout the district.  He however doesn't seem to mind at all and really did quite well.  I actually think he likes doing something different than everyone else.


Aaron and I were both so very proud of him and his performance at the concert.  He was quite nervous before the concert began but did a wonderful job.  Most of the 4th graders only join in during the second half of the concert with the songs they've mastered, but Carter had the privilege of playing along with most of the 5th grade songs  also and even had a brief solo at the beginning of one of the songs.  His hard work has definitely paid off! 

No comments:

Post a Comment