Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Gettin' my geek on

What a privilege it was to attend the International Reading Conference in Chicago last week.  Lest my neighbors continue to have the wrong impression, I wasn't in Chicago just to read "nerd manuals" ;)  I can do that just fine at home and the baseball diamond! I was there to get up to speed on the latest research in literacy education and bring that knowledge back to the district and teachers that I work with.

Even though my primary goal was to be focused on the reading portion of literacy, I had to indulge the writing side of me and attend a couple of sessions with the writing gurus. You truly know you are a geek when you are ready to tuck Laura Robb and Kelly Gallagher into your back pockets and bring them home with you!  They were simply delicious little people who apologize for nothing when it comes to what is in the best interest of kids. Oh what I wouldn't give to be able to watch them in action with kids.  

Now after having a delightful four days immersed in literacy research, it makes me want to be back in the classroom to put into action what I've just learned and been affirmed in what knowledge I did have.


No comments:

Post a Comment