Thursday, January 28, 2010

Science Night

The boys had science night at their elementary school earlier this week. Both boys are HUGE fans of science, not English - much to the dismay of their English teacher mother! However, I'd like to know how any English teacher, no matter how phenomenal, can compete with: fire, explosions, critters, electricity, dirt and so much more! (I just can't let the science teacher that I work with know how much fun I thought it was! I always tell him that English is the best and most important subject ever!)


How many of you could fit your entire body through a regular sized sheet of paper and then include 7 of your friends?


How about some marshmallows frozen in liquid nitrogen?




Austin got to test out how clean his hands were after he washed them by putting them in the GLO BOX. He actually passed :)



The room I neglected to pay attention to the sign before I walked in contained this!!!

For those of you who know me well, you know that I am DEATHLY afraid of snakes. I about had a heart attack when I realized that there were 3 MONSTROUS (just look at the size of this one) snakes in the room that could have attacked and killed us at any moment! It's a good thing my camera has a good zoom on it! I had to stand at the doorway to get this picture of Carter.


Austin had some fun in the recycling section. The Ames Power Plant brought in different colors of recycled glass that had been crushed down into sand particles. He got to fill a little jar, layering it with whatever colors he wanted to bring home.


Thanks to an amazing group of ISU students from several different science departments who entertained hundreds of kids for 2 hours with a variety of science experiments. The final 45 minutes of the night was spent watching the chemistry students dazzle the crowd with all the things we would NEVER want our children to try at home :)

No comments:

Post a Comment