Monday, March 5, 2012

It's not a little thing today

It really is the little things in life that make us smile, but today it is a big thing that will make me both smile and cry. Today I will smile, through tears, as we say goodbye to my dear, sweet grandfather, Herbie Derbie.


There are so many little things throughout the years that have created special memories of my grandpa that I will always cherish.  Grandpa's nickname for me growing up was Brownie.  I used to live at the pool all summer long and get quite tan.  When seeing me, Grandpa would always say, "Well, there's my Brownie!" and proceed to pat my knee.  He's been a knee patter for as long as I've known him.  

Grandpa was a tank wagon driver for a time when I was growing up.  One of my favorite things to do was go with him to fill up the tank wagon before he headed on his calls.  He always slipped me a piece of juicy fruit gum on those times together which I thought was pretty special. Little did I know at the time, but Juicy Fruit and DoubleMint gum was known as his thing.  When he would make deliveries to the farmers, he would always give them and their family members a stick of gum.  Because of that juicy little memory, it's only appropriate to have these at visitation and the funeral. 


One of my all-time favorite memories stems from our Thanksgiving tradition while growing up.  Because my other set of grandparents wintered in Arizona, we always spent Thanksgiving Day with Grandpa Herbie and Grandma Marie.  We would have the most delicious meal at noon and then as a family we would go down into their storage area and dig out all of their Christmas decorations and decorate Grandma and Grandpa's house.  We would put up their artificial tree, which was always adorned with multi-colored lights, ornate glass bulbs, and topped of with silver icicles that I loved draping all over the tree.  We would then head out to a tree farm between Hubbard and Eldora to select and cut down our own Christmas tree and then head home to listen to my father mumble under his breath about putting the tree up and tangling with the lights!

Because of that memory, a couple of years ago I decided that Grandpa Herbie needed a special little tree of his own in his room at the care center to enjoy all year long.  We started at Christmas time and had all of his great-grandchildren make the ornaments and then changed out the decorations throughout the year to match the different seasons.  


Grandpa was also so full of stories.  It was probably the thing that I enjoyed the most about spending time with him.  Routinely we heard the same stories over and over again, which I would give anything to hear from him again.  His mother died the day after giving birth to him and his twin sister and he always choked up in telling how his dad was overwhelmed and his maternal grandparents offered to raise one of the twins.  Through tears, Grandpa would always tell us how he was the one who reached out his hands to his grandmother and that was how that decision was made.  He also had polio as a young boy, and he would tell us how they rubbed fish oil and rubbing alcohol all over his legs "day and night" as a part of his treatments.  There are so many stories that he would tell, it was simply priceless.  One of the last times that we went to visit, he was on a roll with his storytelling, even telling some that I had never heard before.  I will forever cherish that memory. 


Grandpa adored his grandchildren and great grandchildren.  They could always bring a smile to his face. I am so thankful that my boys have been blessed with knowing him and his sweet personality.  He was a man of great faith, put his family first, and was always willing to lend a hand to others.  This world truly was a better place for having Grandpa Herbie in it, but I know without a doubt that he is rejoicing in Heaven, completely at peace and so ecstatic to be reunited with Grandma Marie.


I love you so much Grandpa Herbie and will dearly miss you!
   






  

1 comment:

  1. Very nice post, Lisa. We were in Grinnell over the weekend and went to church with my parents. There was someone there from Hubbard and my Dad was telling him about Pooty. (Is that even spelled right?!) Dad was telling him what a good dart ball player your Grandpa was! "Boy, was he good!"

    ReplyDelete