Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Is your comfort zone overrated?

Have you ever realized you were in over your head and totally out of your element within the first two minutes of getting involved with something?  This is exactly where I found myself last weekend sitting in a class called Oodles of Doodles at my favorite scrapbooking store. Now mind you, my mother-in-law was supposed to be there with me as taking this class was her idea.  Somehow I was there, but she was mysteriously absent. (really, she was just busy)  Hmmm...I think maybe secretly she knew something I didn't!


Now normally I stick to scrapbooking and card making.  If you've ever seen my scrapbooks you know that I have a distinct style and everything in them is symmetrical, has straight lines, and is full of color. Rulers and straight edge trimmers are my friends. The only thing truly done by hand in my scrapbooks is the journaling, which is simply a soapbox topic for another day.
Upon arriving at this class with my trimmer and ruler in hand, I was immediately informed that everything would be done QUICKLY (problem already) and by hand (uh oh!) for that whimsical look. Oh yeah...and it would all be done in black and white.  HUH?!? I think I signed up for the wrong class! I'm sure at this point I had a look of panic and a snarl on my face.
Determined to do this and figure out how in the world I was going to show my mother-in-law how to doodle like a pro, I tried my best to ignore the heart palpitations that were beginning and had to get down to business as it was rapidly evident to me that this was going to be a fast-paced class.  
Somehow I made it through and created this little doodle journal that I plan to use for our spring break trip to San Antonio.  Hopefully it'll turn out okay.  If not, I always know the trip pics will end up in the scrapbook and look fabulous :)
I'm really not sure what I think about the entire thing.  A part of me is intrigued by the whole doodling concept even knowing it's W.A.Y. out of my comfort zone.  A part of me is completely embarrassed to even show it to you. If you hold the pages of this creation really far away and squint, I suppose it does look whimsical.  Really, I think the consensus around my house says it probably looks like a second grader did it.  I'll let you be the judge.

No comments:

Post a Comment