Sunday, March 28, 2010

Arch

The St. Louis Arch is a must when you're in town according to Aaron - regardless of how deathly terrified you are of heights.  Of course, if it were up to me, we could easily skip this part of the trip.  If you have to go higher than two steps on a ladder, it's not for me :)  Apparently it's not for Austin either! 

Aaron was intent on getting us all up in the silly, skinny, sky high in the clouds, swaying Arch that I was sure was a death trap.  However, knowing Austin is a bit fearful of heights himself, I thought I'd better attempt to hide my anxiety of taking part in this experience. I thought I was doing a pretty good job remaining calm and supposedly unaffected in front of the kids. Once Austin started talking in the 3rd person, I knew I was going to have to "suck it up" even more. 

This is what we heard REPEATELY from Austin for about 30 minutes before having to get in the death defying capsule to ascend  in the Arch.  "Austin's not going in the Arch. He will just stay with the security guard until you all come down. Nope, he's not going. Austin refuses to go up!"  I didn't realize how serious he was until we got to the point of having to load in the pod. He gripped the railing to the steps and refused to let go.  Of course, everyone was looking at us and trying to help explain to him that it would be okay.  The lady loading the pods told us this happens all the time, and we could get a refund if necessary. 

However, mother-of-the-year award, here I come.  I gave Aaron my purse and coat, dug in my stubborn heels, peeled Austin's fingers off the railing that he was clinging for dear life to and carried him to the pod with what feels like the entire world staring at us.  I have no idea what in the world I was thinking - I'd take that refund for Austin and I in a heartbeat! I wanted nothing to do with this whole thing anyway! Carter and Aaron could head up, and Austin and I would be happy as larks hanging out at the museum and gift shop. I'm not one to give up very easily though. Once we were loaded in, tears were flowing from both boys. Carter's tummy hurt and Austin buried his head in his sweatshirt and sobbed.  By the time we made it to the top, Carter was fine, but Austin was definitely not.  He cried the entire time at the top and clung to me for dear life begging to go back down immediately.  Again, why didn't I just take the refund and call it good? Hard to believe someone offered to take our picture with a crying child while we were at the top :)  I promised him this is the only one I would post - there are TONS more!



After our feet were firmly planted back on the ground, Carter raved about how amazing it was and wanted to go back up. Austin admitted that maybe it really wouldn't be so bad if he had to go again, and maybe he would actually look out the windows.  UGH!  Really?  After all that?  He had much more fun laying on the grass underneath the Arch to look up and take pictures! Here's the one he likes the most because you can see the windows that you look from at the top of the Arch - which of course he got nowhere close to :)




1 comment:

  1. I can totally relate. That thing is scary! I'm not sure that I ever looked out the windows of it but there are pictures of me near the windows.. does that count? :)

    ReplyDelete