Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Pond Field Trip

Today was the pond field trip for Carter to McFarland Park.  Carter asked Aaron to go along as a driver and helper. What a great experience this was for Aaron to share in Carter's day and to get a little glimpse of what teaching and corraling kids is all about! 

This first thing I heard when I got home home was, "It was AWESOME!"

Aaron informed me that he was "the best driver". 

I rolled my eyes at that one and Carter chuckled and said, "We got to watch a movie!"  Obviously it had nothing to do with Aaron's driving skills :)

Apparently this was an excellent field trip for Aaron to go on.  The kids got a big net and got to scoop water and "critters" out of the pond and examine them. (I'm not a big fan of critters!) According to Carter, the different groups found an assortment of goodies including dragon fly larva, water beetles, snails, fish, and goose poop!  Gotta love that last one.  Each group got an aquarium to create their own pond habitat in after that.  Carter was spewing out all sorts of information that the English teacher mom didn't totally grasp. 

They got to take a hike around some of the trails and stop and examine different plants.  Aaron said he only had one "roamer" in his group, and he didn't end up losing anyone!  That's a pretty huge accomplishment when taking kids on a field trip :)  I'll have to tell my story sometime about my very first field trip as a teacher in San Antonio when 3 of our kids ditched us downtown on the Riverwalk...yeah...not a great memory and still to this day makes me nauseous thinking about taking a group of middle schoolers out in public!  Can't wait for our 8th grade Adventureland field trip in a couple of weeks...

Anyway, there should be tons of pictures from this field trip.  However, I put the camera battery in the charger overnight so it would be ready to go.  Aaron did grab the camera this morning to take along not knowing I was charging the battery.  In case you were wondering...it doesn't work without the battery :(

So, here's a picture of the happy field trip boys when they got home!

 

1 comment:

  1. Jared is going on the Pond Field trip next week....I don't do outside field trips, and Keith doesn't do ANY field trips, so J-Rod is on his own!!

    ReplyDelete