Thursday, May 19, 2011

The change up

Do you remember me telling you about the fact that I am apparently playing baseball this spring?  If not, read this.  I had told you that I had been thrown a curve ball.  It seems as though God thought I should take a look at a few different types of pitches besides the curveball before deciding which one to swing away at.

Last spring, with steep budget cuts in education, I simply faced a change up pitch which I had no choice but to hit.  I guess I am thankful there was a pitch to swing at!  After 15 years of teaching, I didn't think that a change up was something I would face, unless I was requesting it :)  However, I honestly believe that God's plan is perfect, even if I don't agree with Him! (...and the Big Guy's been laying some things in my path in the last few years that I don't agree with and have NOT been happy with - you could say I've been devastated by some of these things -, but I am now thankful, no grateful, no appreciative having a better understanding of why these situations were given to me.)  Thank goodness I was able to hit the change up last year and am now rounding third and heading straight for home plate!

Last year's change up pitch took me from teaching 8th grade language arts all day long with a team of teachers that I adored because we were able to laugh, disagree professionally and be okay with it, laugh, collaborate, laugh, and work so well together for the good of kids, to teaching 2 sections of 8th grade language arts (45 minutes each), 1 90-minute block of 7th grade language arts, and kindergarten ELP (talented and gifted) for all 14 of the kindergarten classes in our district, plus working with a few dual exceptionality students one-on-one this year.   Oh, I forgot to throw in there having a student teacher - who was amazing by the way and definitely a reason for my sanity, whatever little I had, remaining in tact! (You were amazing Jera and there are going to be many blessed students in the coming years coming out of your classroom!) Yes, I hope that exhausted you just reading it because I am just plain worn out!  I was in every building in our district this year except the high school.  However, it was an unforgettable year and one that I have learned so much from and would do it again.  I don't regret a minute of it, and truly am grateful for the experience, as crazy as that sounds, even though I'm dead tired both physically and mentally. I can see home plate though and will come in sliding and throwing up some dirt!

Remember last year I was only offered a change up pitch?  This year I've been offered three different pitches, and I've looked each of them over hard.  The first pitch was a fastball straight down the middle.  This fastball would be returning to full-time 8th grade language arts, hunkered safely away from budget cuts due to retirements and finally hitting a safe spot on the seniority ladder.  An easy homeroom in my mind! Who doesn't want a homeroom?

The second pitch was a curve ball.  This curve ball would be moving full-time into the ELP (talented and gifted arena) starting with an elementary position and differing opportunities (exciting ones) arising within the same realm in the subsequent years.  This one threw me for a loop and was an option that I didn't necessarily see coming and spent some serious time processing.  In my previous district I taught talented and gifted at the middle school level for 5 years so it is a realm I am familiar with and had the background knowledge to clearly weigh the pros and cons as well as where my passions are.  I was very flattered by the pitch!

The third pitch was another change up.  This change up would be moving out of the classroom into a leadership position as an instructional coach at the middle school level in the district.  This one required oodles of processing on my part and some nudging on the part of others as this is a completely new position within the district.  Not everyone is thrilled with the idea of instructional coaches, but there are some significant changes happening in the language arts department, and ultimately I felt I could have a positive impact on change with this position.  Again, another flattering pitch.

So, I chose to swing at the change up pitch for the second year in a row.  Last year, I didn't really have a choice in the matter, but this year I did.  I made contact with the pitch and the ball is in play!  An offer was extended, and I accepted. I will be in a completely new position next year.  I'm looking forward to the challenge, digging deeper into best practices for kids, and working closely and collaboratively with some amazing language arts teachers at Ames Middle School!  Now...I'm just afraid I'm going to really miss working with kids :(

You also can't beat getting a beautiful bouquet of flowers at work for playing baseball :)  Thanks mom and dad!

3 comments:

  1. You better be around the middle school a lot! I'd be devastated not to see your smiling face once in a while! I wish you the best of luck in your new position....if you feel like coaching math, too, that'd be great....then I'd really get to see you more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are so good at whatever you do and I know you will make it a great year. I'm going to miss you so much next year. Please come visit lots!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow!! I'm catching up on some blog reading and this was fun to read! You had choices-- that's great! I think you'll be great at that, you're very qualified! So are you reading lots of new research this summer?? Because you should just enjoy summer! :)

    ReplyDelete