Thursday, May 26, 2011

How did this happen?

Happy 12th Birthday Austin!


Truly, I'm having a hard time swallowing the fact that this adorable guy is 12 today. I can still vividly remember finding out we were pregnant with him.  I knew from the minute I found out that he was a boy.  I had no idea what he would look like or what type of personality he would have, but I knew I loved him more than anything! These last 12 years have been quite an adventure, but somehow they have truly flown by.

In a couple more days, Austin will experience his last day of elementary school.  It honestly seems like just yesterday that we were sending this guy off to kindergarten. As Aaron and I sat at 6th grade orientation Tuesday night, I felt quite strange.  I know what middle school is all about.  It's my daily life.  It's where I'm knowledge and comfortable. However I was quite uncomfortable sitting in orientation as a parent.  It's now my child we are talking about that is growing and changing, moving into a more turbulent and independent stage of life.  YIKES!  

However, I know that this newly minted 12 year old is ready.  (His mom and dad might not be, but he is!)  He's got a pretty good head on his shoulders.  He's got a wicked sense of humor and a quick wit.  He understands that life isn't always easy or fair, and that the results of hard work are worth it.  There are times when I wish we could go back in time and really soak up those times of innocence, but I realize that these new stages of life we are moving into are pretty cool too!  Some would say that he might not need his parents quite as much these days, but I would disagree.  He needs us now more than ever.  It might not be to literally hold his hand as he takes his first steps or learns to cross the street safely, but it will be to hold his hand and help him navigate the challenges and celebrate the successes of his adolescent years.

It's time to celebrate turning 12!  We love you Austin :)



2 comments:

  1. Awwww. Happy Birthday, Mr. GQ. I can't believe he'll be at the middle school next year! That is crazy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have tried and tried to comment on here and it never lets me! Hope his day was great!!

    ReplyDelete