Monday, July 2, 2012

It's the little things

Little things that make us smile #24~

Seeing sweet things written in my grandmother's handwriting


Due to some crazy circumstances, we were not able to gather as a family like we usually do for Austin's 13th birthday so his cards and gifts have been rolling in at different times..  My heart just swelled and my eyes got teary when I saw this precious writing on the envelope that Austin recently received from his great grandparents.  I can just see my grandma's happiness written all over this envelope!

I believe that handwriting is a such a personal thing and is distinctive to each and every person.  The students in my class know I that I may be a stickler for names on papers (especially when dealing with 125+ kids every day), but I can pretty much identify any handwritten paper from a student after the first couple of months with them.  Your handwriting is intimately connected to you and really communicates a lot about you.  It seems these days that more and more of our communication is done electronically which takes away some of that personal connection based on a person's handwriting.  My scrapbooking friends get frustrated by my lectures encouragement to hand write in their albums so that future generations can enjoy that personal touch and get a little better glimpse into who created these masterpieces of history through their hand written words.

I plan to hang onto this envelope as I know someday Austin will appreciate it just as much as I do! 



1 comment:

  1. So sweet! I know exactly what you mean....I could identify my Nana's handwriting anywhere and it speaks volumes about how she is as a person!

    ReplyDelete