Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Homemade Happiness

It's been since LAST summer when we Ace repainted the kitchen.  I had a few ideas of what I wanted to do to decorate, but football, basketball, baseball and many other things life got in my way.  That's okay though, just so long as you didn't think terribly of me because I've had bare kitchen walls for a long time :)


After seeing these two ideas of using your grandmother's handwritten recipes on Pinterest I knew it was something I would love to recreate in my own kitchen. I know I told you about my love of what a person's handwritten word means to me here. My dream was to be able to gather at least one recipe from each of our grandmothers. My mother-in-law was terrific about getting me her mother's German pancake recipe.  My mom dug through her own mother's recipes and found a banana split recipe that she remembered growing up.  I was so excited when the boys and I were visiting my Uncle Joel and his family in Sioux Falls, SD and I stumbled across my grandma's orange slice cookie recipe that I remember so well from growing up.  My uncle was such a sweetie to part with it.  I promised it would be well cherished and protected :)


I set out to find some frames, scrapbook paper and ribbon that would tie it all together in the kitchen.  Of course after becoming one with my Cricut and vinyl after creating my gallery wall, I figured I might as well add the saying homemade happiness through the generations to complete the look.


I just have recipes from two more grandma's to track down.  Aaron's mission is to talk to his aunt's on the Clayberg side and see what he can do.  I know his Grandma Pat wasn't much for recipes.  She simply dumped ingredients until it "looked right".  I can hardly complain because that's how I cook - not bake, but cook.  The boys and I visited my Grandma Janet the other day and she was going to see what she could dig up for me and even thought she might be able to track down a recipe or two from my great-grandmothers.  I can't even begin to tell you how cool I think that would be!  Thank goodness I left myself some room on the wall to add more in as I track down those precious handwritten memories.

No comments:

Post a Comment