Friday, January 11, 2013

Acts of kindness v.1


Since illness hit our house over the past weekend, it gave me some downtime to begin putting together some acts of kindness in honor of my 40th birthday.  I have been blessed with more than I could ever really want or need, and it warms my heart to do something for someone else by putting these acts of kindness together. 



Acts of kindness 1-6:
My thoughts never stray too far from the students at the middle school.  Unfortunately, middle school is a rough time for many kids which simply breaks my heart.  I know far too many who are struggling with issues at home, with peers, with health, or a multitude of other things.  With the help of the boys, I designed 6 acts of kindness to be doled out by our amazing counselors (2 per grade level). They know all too well the students who are going through struggles, and for the life of me, I would never be able to simply choose 6.  I am leaving it up to each of the counselors to identify the students and keep things anonymous.  These acts of kindness are in their hands now and they can decide the best way to get it into the appropriate students' hands.

   sweet tart gummies, bouncy balls, gum, pencils and silly straws

On that note, check out what three amazing Iowa City High students are doing to spread the kindness in their school.  LOVE THIS!  

Teen uses Twitter to compliment peers
After reading about cyber bullying, Jeremiah Anthony, 17, a junior at Iowa City West High School, has taken to social media to tweet daily compliments to his classmates in an effort to build them up. NBC’s Kevin Tibbles reports. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp/50395735#5



2 comments:

  1. YOU ROCK! and thanks for sharing the story...it might just become part of an anti-bullying lesson i am working on!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it's a great idea to incorporate into your anti bullying lesson :) Don't you love it when something clicks for a lesson your coming upon? LOVE THAT!

      Delete