Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Cozumel

Cozumel was our first stop.  We knew we wanted the kids to experience the beach and actually be able to get in the water and snorkel.  They were excited for this new little adventure, and Austin was thinking that he might be brave enough to try parasailing while we were there. However, he wasn't totally sold on the idea, especially since he has a fear of heights. The beach was small but beautiful.  Of course, I'm not picky.  Give me sand, sun, and water and I'm one happy lady :)


Once we got there, everyone was quite intrigued by digging up shells.  It was amazing how many shells could be found, especially the large ones.  Aaron swam out a little ways and came back to me in the shallow water with a huge shell to give to me.  I was admiring the shell and noticing a hole on the top of it.  As I was looking in the hole, I noticed that there seemed to be a creature living in there.  Not being a huge fan of "creatures", I was hoping and praying that it would stay put until I could get to shore and put it down.  I didn't need anything trying to squirm out at me.  Needless to say, luck was not on my side.  It really never is.  All of a sudden, a slimy, black baby octopus (it could have been a baby Loch Ness monster for all I know) starting crawling out of the hole towards me.  Of course I did when any girl would do... hoped and prayed it wouldn't come all the way out.  When it did, I screamed and threw the entire thing back in the water and ran as fast as I could back to shore!  Aaron was mad at me for not catching the darn thing and letting him see it.  Not happening friends, not happening!


The kids had a blast just running and jumping along the shore and playing in the sand.  If this picture doesn't say "CAREFREE", I don't know what does!


I talked Carter into letting us bury him with sand.  He laid patiently while all of us scooped up sand to cover him inch by inch.  It was hilarious to listen to Braden giggle the entire time we were doing it.  He gathered as much sand as his little hands could hold. 


We even managed to drag Tim over to the beach and bury him.  There's something quite satisfying about burying your brother in the sand!  Amazing that he's still smiling at us :)  I'm sure there will be a payback for it sometime.


Snorkeling was quite an adventure.  Austin was all set to try it out until he saw a piece of seaweed float by him thinking it was a snake.  It took a bit of convincing him to get back out there and experience all the wonders of sea life.  Eventually all four boys gave snorkeling a try once Aaron and I took them out a little farther from shore.  It took them each a bit to get used to breathing through their mouths in the snorkel, but they were all able to see some saltwater fish and thought it was pretty cool.


As we were getting ready to leave, a man came around asking if anyone wanted to go parasailing. Austin first said no and then after the man brought out some pictures and talked to him a bit, he decided that he wanted to give it a whirl.  I was so proud of him but honestly feared once we got on the boat he might chicken out.  Thankfully, the guy started prepping him and Aaron right away, and Austin didn't have much time to think about it.  Before he knew it, they were strapped in for a tandem ride and headed up into the air.


We had told him it would be an amazing experience that he would truly never forget.  His eyes were wide with wonder from the moment he was strapped in.  He was able to see the majestic colors that God painted the Gulf waters from a perspective few experience.  He was all smiles and chattering away to Aaron the entire time.  What a priceless experience for the two of them!


This smile is just priceless to me!  To be able to watch your child experience something so truly amazing for the first time and enjoy every single moment is something that my heart and soul will never forget.  He was truly in awe and my heart was full!


As we headed back into shore, Austin couldn't wait to tell everyone about parasailing.  However, there was a slight problem as we were pulling into shore and our boat captain pulled back out about 50 yards.  I still have no idea what the problem was other than it was too shallow, but apparently it meant we needed a rescue boat to come out and get us in water that was only 5 feet deep.  We definitely could have just hopped out and walked into shore, but they would not let that happen.  One guy hopped out to get the rescue boat but couldn't start it.  I got a terrible case of the giggles, not believing this was actually happening.  He was pulling and pulling and pulling on the motor, but just couldn't get it done.  Another guy hopped in and in one try, got the boat started and came to our rescue!  I'm sure it was quite a sight for everyone on shore to watch us being "rescued" in 5 feet of water!   

We finished off our time in Cozumel with a little shopping. The boys were totally intrigued by all the souvenir shops and trinkets to be had.  They thought they were big stuff being able to pick out whatever they wanted.  After gathering up some souvenirs, we were heading back to the ship and noticed all the Doerings had made a pit stop at Fat Tuesdays for some drink and nachos.  They were being serenaded by a mariachi band and wearing balloon hats!  Of course, we couldn't miss out on that fun so we joined them!  



I miss you Cozumel, I miss you!













1 comment:

  1. I'm loving the trip posts!!! I love seeing the photos I hadn't seen yet too. Can't wait to see them all!!

    ReplyDelete